top of page

Polk County Weatherization Assistance Program

Polk County's weatherization program can help with common home upgrades to reduce your home energy usage and help keep your home more comfortable.

Phone number


Program website

Service area

Serves all of Polk County.

What can the program do?

Insulation of attic or sidewalls, air infiltration issues corrected, replacement of carbon monoxide/smoke detectors, furnace repairs and cleaning - and in some cases replacement; replacement of water heaters and high usage old refrigerators & freezers.

Who is eligible?

Household income must fall below 200% of the federal poverty level OR the household must be approved for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Owner-occupied homes are eligible. Rental properties may be eligible with agreement from the landlord and proof of a valid rental certificate. Homes being purchased on contract are eligible if the contract is recorded with the Polk County Assessor.

What other policies apply?

Most people will apply for this program at the same time they apply for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), but you can contact Polk County Public Works directly for information. Services are provided at no cost to the applicant. Income-eligible households are placed on a wait list in order of energy use (information provided by utility). Homes are eligible for this program 1 time every 15 years.

Where are applications taken?

You can apply for this program through IMPACT Community Action Program online at or by calling 515-518-4770. West Des Moines residents may also apply at West Des Moines Human Services, call 515-222-3660 for information.

Provided by Polk County Public Works Housing Services Division.

Use these buttons to browse through other Owner Occupied Home Repair Programs listed in our guide.

Individual program policies and guidelines are subject to change. Always contact an individual program directly for complete information about their rules.

bottom of page