top of page

Find housing help

Here you'll find information about housing services and our recommendations for who to contact if you need housing help in Polk County, Iowa.

An image of townhouses and the nearby the Women of Achievement bridge over the Des Moines River downtown.

The Polk County Housing Trust Fund is not able to provide financial assistance directly to individual people or families, but we can connect you with others who can.

Review the topics below to find resources for your needs.

Find affordable rentals


Several local housing programs help people with low- and moderate-incomes, offering options like income-restricted apartments through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program and various HUD-sponsored housing offering rental assistance.

For a comprehensive list of income-restricted properties and available rentals, consider using Iowa Housing Search, a resource offered by the Iowa Finance Authority.


Section 8 housing assistance


Securing a housing choice voucher (section 8 voucher) from our local housing authority can help you afford housing you find on the private market. The public housing authority serving Polk County is the Des Moines Municipal Housing Authority. The Central Iowa Regional Housing Authority (CIRHA) serves many surrounding counties.

Public housing in Des Moines and Polk County

Public housing in Polk County is also managed by the Des Moines Municipal Housing Authority.


As of June 17, 2024, the wait list for public housing is open in Des Moines. The Des Moines Municipal Housing Authority is accepting wait list applications for all bedroom sizes until August 17 at 5:00 pm. The Section 8 waiting list remains closed at this time. The Des Moines Municipal Housing Authority is located at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue, Des Moines. For information you may also call 515-323-8950.

Need help paying rent


If you are having trouble paying your rent or other expenses related to your housing, here are some local organizations you may contact about rental assistance.


Facing homelessness? Seek help.


Help is available to access homeless services and shelter. For support, visit Centralized Intake at Primary Health Care, 1200 University Avenue, Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. For assistance after hours, dial 2-1-1.


I expect to lose my housing in a few days or weeks


If you may lose your housing soon, here is a recommended list of actions you can take provided by the National Coalition for the Homeless.

A collage shows a screwdriver, hammer, nails, cordless drill, pliers, and a tape measure.

Get help for home repairs

Several local programs can assist homeowners with repairs that help with health and safety, energy efficiency, and more.


We maintain a directory of assistance programs for homeowners that serve Polk County.

Affordable home purchase and mortgage help


Consider these organizations focused on providing affordable homeownership opportunities and homeownership counseling.


For resources related to foreclosure prevention, you may also wish to contact the Iowa Mortgage Help Line.

Resolve tenant-landlord disputes


Good communication is key to successful relationships between residents and landlords. Still, sometimes situations arise where knowledge of the law or outside help resolving disputes is useful.

For help with general tenant-landlord concerns, consider contacting HOME, Inc. If you are facing eviction, you may also contact Iowa Legal Aid for specialized assistance.

Protecting your civil rights


Contact the Iowa Civil Rights Commission for assistance. In the City of Des Moines, you may also contact the Des Moines Civil & Human Rights Department.

Help with language translation


The Iowa International Center provides a housing translation service.

More lists of community resources


Our list of resources focuses on housing. If you don't find what you are looking for here, please consider these options: 

Additional featured resources

We are testing a new service in this space! Check back soon.

bottom of page