Join us for Affordable Housing Week 2016!
Learn how housing is foundational to all we value as a community
The Polk County Housing Trust Fund invites you to join us for our fourth annual Affordable Housing Week! We're offering several free opportunities to learn more about our community's need for affordable housing, its impact on health, education, and the economy, and innovative approaches to meet that need. Please take a minute to check out these special events. We hope to see you there!
- April 13, 8-10:30 AM: 3rd Annual Educational Event for Iowa Landlords (RSVP & more info here)
- Are you a property manager or landlord? Know someone who should attend? Learn more about renting to low-income households and what resources are available to help, plus a keynote presentation on conflict resolution.
- April 14, 8-11:30 AM: Housing Matters: Intersections (RSVP & more info here)
- Join us for the second year of this popular and free annual symposium to learn about cross-sector collaborations between housing, health, and transportation. Carol Payne from HUD Baltimore and Amy Slonim from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation will discuss national efforts to build healthier communities, and a panel of local experts will share their insights on how cross-sector efforts work in practice.
- April 15, 9-11:30 AM: Healthy Homes Des Moines Bus Tour (Sorry, sold out! Watch our eNewsletter for details on our Fall Bus Tour in October.)
- Learn more about Healthy Homes Des Moines, a collaborative effort to reduce pediatric asthma in the city through education and home repairs. Hear from the project's leadership and from local families whose children are being treated by this program.
- April 16, 10 AM-12 PM: Can I Be Your Neighbor Design Challenge (no RSVP required)
- This program in its fourth year offers high school students the opportunity to design affordable homes for a chance at scholarships provided by ASK Studio and the Home Builders Association of Greater Des Moines. Come check out the students' designs and hear finalists present their work at Grand View University's Krumm Centrum (1300 Morton Ave, Des Moines) and see who wins!
One week, many opportunities to learn more about affordable housing in our community. For a complete listing of events, check out our calendar. We hope to see you at one of our events next month!
Affordable Housing Week is brought to you free of charge by our generous sponsors RDG Planning & Design, Greater Des Moines Partnership, Mid-Iowa Health Foundation, AARP Iowa and Age-Friendly Des Moines, Primary Health Care, and UnityPoint Health - Des Moines. We would also like to thank our promotional partners the Des Moines Area MPO and Urban Land Institute Iowa for their help!