PCHTF Position Announced
The Polk County Housing Trust Fund is soliciting applications for the following position. Send strictly confidential electronic cover letters and resumes to Eric Burmeister, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials accepted through 5/15 or until position is filled.
Position Title: Director of Communications & Community Outreach
Reports to: Executive Director
The goal of this position is to expand awareness, understanding and agreement among Polk County community members regarding affordable housing. Responsible for managing, developing, and executing marketing and communications strategies and initiatives related to affordable housing issues, policies, and community planning. Serves as the liaison between PCHTF and the external community by developing and managing communications to the community through multiple outlets. Collaborates with team members on programs and initiatives. Communicates to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and team members regarding marketing/communications results pertaining to various initiatives. Acts as the Public Relations point person for PCHTF, in addition to the Executive Director, speaking with media, serving and/or acting in an advisory capacity on boards and committees also speaks at different functions including but not limited to local and national conferences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Creates, develops, and executes marketing, public relations and communications plan with leadership input, evaluation, and agreement. Collaborates with Executive Director, Board of Directors, and members of the PCHTF team on messaging for campaigns/events/policy initiatives that aptly reach targeted audiences to further advance the vision and mission of the organization while promoting organization name recognition and branding.
· Manages and develops all creative, effectively promoting the organization’s mission and vision while establishing an ongoing presence in the community. Utilizes multiple mediums (print, broadcast media, video, social media, web, electronic, etc.) to increase and optimize the visibility of affordable housing policy. Writes and distributes press releases, newsletters, and social media / web content. Creates/produces videos and site pages for viewing; takes and posts photos highlighting organization events and activities.
· Monitors current and emerging housing policies and potential issues that may affect PCHTF and programs; communicates with Executive Director and assists in developing strategies as needed.
· In conjunction with the Executive Director, staffs the policy committee and develops the policy agenda (local, state, federal); also staffs the marketing committee.
· In conjunction with the Executive Director, fields inquiries from and provides interviews to the news media; may pro-actively seek media opportunities to promote different aspects of affordable housing policy, initiatives and/or events, to expand audience reach and understanding.
· Manages media buying and contracts. Assesses vendors and advertising effectiveness; identifies new vendors as needed for potential media expansion; works with vendors to incorporate novel as well as traditional advertising methods.
· Identifies and partners with community organizations to collaborate on communications/marketing initiatives related to affordable housing. Partners with national organizations to highlight, inform, and promote Polk County initiatives and policy efforts, illustrating advances made locally towards affordable housing. Identifies and promotes stories to provide broader visibility of organization and policy successes locally, regionally, and nationally.
· Works with the Director of Programs and Supportive Services to develop and implement communication strategies for fundraising efforts.
· Plans for and manages organization events. Collaborates with Executive Director and/or other team members on agendas and activities. Manages all aspects of the event planning process, including but not limited to collaboration with outside parties, venue identification, printing and design of materials, budget tracking, etc.
· Serves on various boards and committees as a member or in an advisory capacity. Conducts presentations to different segments of the community and speaks at local and national conferences representing Polk County Housing Trust Fund.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or other related field with a minimum of three years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience; experience working with affordable housing policy and community planning preferred. Experience in social media marketing and basic graphic design a plus. Must possess a valid Iowa Driver’s License.
Critical Success Factors
Strategically oriented; outstanding oral and written communication skills; creative marketing and story-telling skills; ability to build and grow professional relationships and networks; collaborative and team-oriented; influential and persuasive; possesses initiative with high work ethic; goal oriented; program-project management skills; computer skills in Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Suite, multi-media editing and other technology applications.
Internal: PCHTF board members and staff
External: Partner organizations including but not limited to funders, nonprofits, and governmental entities; community planning and research professionals; media outlets
Physical Demands / Working Conditions
Some travel is required.
Salary range - $50,000 to $70,000 with standard PCHTF benefits
Note: This job description describes the general nature and essential functions of the position without including peripheral and incidental duties. Contents of this job description are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. Employees may receive other job-related instructions and be required to perform other job-related work as requested by the manager. All requirements are subject to possible modification to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.