PCHTF Announces Programs & Supportive Services Grantees
Seven high-performing programs selected for funding
Programs that assist households in obtaining and keeping permanent housing they can afford is critical to the Polk County Housing Trust Fund’s Vision that “Everyone has equal opportunity for safe, stable, affordable homes within the communities where they choose to live, work, play and learn.” In an effort to achieve that Vision, the PCHTF Board recently approved allocations totaling $340,000 to seven high performing programs as part of our Programs & Supportive Services grant program.
· Advantage Services, operated by CommonBond Communities received $28,500 to assist residents in their Bloomsbury and Stewart Park developments through afterschool homework help, employment counseling and crisis intervention.
· Blueprint to Homeownership, operated by Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity received $70,000 to equip families for homeownership. The households are instructed in issues of home maintenance and repair, financial responsibility and required to donate their “sweat equity” for the construction of Habitat Homes.
· Permanent Supportive Housing, operated by Central Iowa Shelter & Services, received $33,000 to assist residents of its 38-bed permanent housing facility in adjusting to permanent housing from homelessness.
· Home Connection, operated by Hawthorn Hill received $70,000 to increase formerly homeless families’ self-sufficiency through financial education, credit repair and employment counseling.
· Shelter + Care, operated by Anawim Housing, received $60,000 to ensure that disabled residents coming from homelessness achieve stability in permanent housing through intensive case management.
· Transitions, operated by Oakridge Neighborhood Services, received $48,500 to offer cultural and language skills, employment readiness and basic education for their residents, many of whom are new to Iowa and the United States.
· Unity Place, operated by Mainstream Living received $30,000 to ensure their residents’ long term housing stability. Unity Place is a permanent supportive housing development exclusively for very low income single women.
Thank you to these programs and their leaders for improving the lives of folks in affordable housing in Polk County. We also thank our generous donors for their support of these programs. 100% of their financial contribution goes directly to programs that benefit the most vulnerable people and families in our community, and help them on the path to greater self-sufficiency.